Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Thoughts from a man whose eyes have been opened

This past week Calley and I were making our weekend visits to see family and friends.  We were traveling down the lake highway when God just began flooding my mind with the stage of life that I am in.  It is finally setting in with me that I really am 31 and soon to be 32.  I am now just barely a month away from being a child of God for 13 years! I have been a husband for nearly 8 years, and a father for over 6. I was a youth pastor for 8 years or so and now, a pastor for just over a year.
    Life has truly been a real adventure since that wonderful night in August of 1997.  I remember that night in that downstairs chapel at Louisiana College, it is something that forever stays close to my heart and the picture stays in my mind.  As I look back at that moment, I think about all that God has done for me or thru me since that night, I think of the the tears and the laughter.  It is overwhelming to try to understand this level of joy that Jesus has filled my heart with.
   A life for Jesus is so misunderstood by the majority of people, I think. It saddens me to see this.  As God flashes memories of my last 13 years to me, I am amazed by what has happened since that August night.  The initial adoption into the family of God is not the great end of the road that most view, it is only the beginning of years of amazing adventure, trails, rescues, miracles, and heart regeneration to unimaginable levels. 
   I would never have dreamed that being a Christian meant such a level of peace and victory that is beyond description.  The call of Jesus is not for us to say a prayer, His call is for us to surrender in order for him to do His good work and purpose through us.
Phillipians 2:13 For God is working in you, giving you the desire and the power to do what pleases him.


    I remember well the tears of Aug 1997, and many tears since then. I remember the tears of last week, and I see that Psalm 126:5 is being fulfilled. (Psalm 126:5 Those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy.)


   I believe that Aug 97 was the greatest moment in history of my life, that night completely changed all rules for the years to come.  Right now in 2010 though I believe I am on the heels of the greatest work that God has ever done in my Christian life. I see it coming with tears sown and joy to be reaped.  At this point in time, everything on the inside of me is overflowing because of the growth I see within Cornerstone Church of Vidalia, LA. I see God sending us the hopeless, rejected, those who have been abused by worldly promises.  I see God using our body of believers to reach out and love people in a way that is beyond our ability, because He is the power working within.
   If God broke my heart in Aug 97 just for this moment in time, it has been well worth the wait.  There are currently over 30,000 people within a 20 mile radius, and Lord I want to reach each one that others haven't reached out to. I want to reach out to those whom others have given up on.  The census according to July 2008 says Concordia parish has 19,000 people and the city of Natchez, MS has an estimated 16,413 as of 2008. 


Prayer:  Lord, lots of people within our area don't know You or what You have planned for them.  Use us to bring the local people of our area to a life that's surrendered to You and the truth of Your ability to do things exceedingly beyond their imaginations for them.

1 comment:

  1. I am encouraged w/ the growth and encouraged w/ the message every time we come. We will miss y'all tomorrow but will be at First West. If we could just retrain our thoughts from what society says is right to what GOD says is right. Poor is good. Faith without works is dead. Having all knowledge, and speaking all languages and giving everything away, without love, is nothing. I think you are one of the few, like Frances Chan, that is not afraid to tell the truth. The watered down version of Christianity that millions are getting from ppl like Joel is borderline blasphemy. It is scary and we need to SHOUT OUT THE TRUTH. Keep up the GREAT work :)

    ReplyDelete