Sunday, September 27, 2009

Life is short

2 Timothy 3:1-4
1.But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days.People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy,  3.without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4.treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God--

     Wow, I think this pretty much describes society.  Now I am not the person to say that it is the end of the world, but the end will come one day, and people will be living when it does happen.  It amazes me to talk with people, I find that almost every person lives like they will never die, yet people die everyday.  It is obvious that the devil doesn't mind most of the human race believing that the world will end, just not now and also that every person will die but just not for a long time like at 97 years old or something.
    This is all interesting to me cause I remember thinking like this, and still catch myself thinking this way sometimes.  I remember as a kid I planned on living it up until about 40 years old and then I would settle down, get married and probably go to church.  It never occured to me that I could die at 8 or 10 or 20 or at just anytime.  As I got to be a teenager I realized that one day Jesus would come back to earth and at that time everyone would go to heaven or hell depending on whether they had chose Jesus as their Savior or not.  But while I knew Jesus would come back I never considered that it could happen while I was alive.  So for a large part of my life I lived it up, after all I was going to settle down at 40 years old. 
      As I sit here today and reflect, I am glad that I woke up to the fact that when a person truly believes on Jesus to be their Savior then He literally changes their very nature.  He changes our wants and our likes and dislikes.  I now see that Jesus could return at literally any moment, maybe today, maybe before I finish this post. 
      The facts are obvious for those who look for signs, we are a generation of people that is more pleasure seeking than words can describe, talking about being disobedient well there is medicine for that now days.  There are those who are without self control, oh yea thats right we call this road rage and yes there is a road rage pill available.  The bottom line is we have become a people who seek after pleasures rather than God and we seek a pill to fix our problems rather than Jesus who can heal the issue. 
      The saddest reality of seeking pleasure though is that I don't know of a single person who has ever found a true pleasure that last, and doesn't fade and doesn't grow old apart from the joy that is found in Jesus. 
 
Could it be that the very thing that we as a people avoid is the very thing that we really want?  I can say from my own experience that it was Jesus that I stayed away from for a large part of my life and I later discovered that Jesus was all I truly ever wanted.  Worldy pleasures come and go, and usually leave people with hangovers, STD's and depression, but Jesus brings a joy into a person's life that never stops.  Even when the world is over, life will be good.
 
Isaiah 53:5  But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting! Oh and I was just wondering what happened to the series you were going to do on the Holy Spirit? I was all geared up for it and then you cut me short! LOL Just wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well i taught on it for like 5 or 6 weeks, then God seemed to lead me to another direction. where were you? man I really need to work on bringing out a point I see. haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agreen. Everybody has a God hole and more and more these days people ignore it and fill it with all sorts of things. But the only thing that will leave it full is GOD!

    ReplyDelete