Thursday, September 9, 2010

Breakdowns, Limited Funds & One Big Bull

Get the firewood ready for when it gets cold.  That has been my thoughts for the past couple weeks, I am so looking forward to winter.  I spent a good bit of time this past weekend, cutting and splitting wood. I can feel the warmth of the fire in the woodstove and the food being cooked at the same time as I am stacking the wood.  I am really excited about it, excited about the future, when the cool comes.  While the wood stack is growing though something wonderful happens, the A/C decides to break, lol.  I was reminded of a long time truth as the A/C wouldn't work last night, and that is no matter how much wood you have, it is impossible to build a good enough fire to cool the house down.
    Sometimes I think we are so busy preparing for the future that we neglect the present.  The reality is that God can take care of everything for us whether it is past, present or future, He is just that big.  The human nature tends to want to plan things of the future that we can make happen I think.  If I want to go on vacation, I start planning on how to save money for a particular time that I would like the vacation.  If I want to wake up in the morning at a certain time, then I set my phone to make loud noises at that certain time.  The future is always uncertain and God is in control of it, but if just the normal circumstances happen on a daily occurence then we can plan and be prepared for these physical needs and wants of the future.
    I love the way God constantly reminds my household that no matter how much planning we may do for the future, He is the only one who can completely take care of the present.  Only God can truly take care of the present when a leg breaks or the house catches fire, or the job is suddenly lost, or the unexpected loss of a loved one, or maybe as in our case the simple loss of an A/C and the lack of funds to fix it.  I agree air condition in definitely not a necessity but it sure is very appreciated.
    Yesterday the sudden need of the present had me in the yard getting ready to load some scrap iron (old washing machines, etc) to carry to the scrap yard for some funds.  As I begin my task, I have 2 boys that have to get their boots on and get in the truck with me, I have fences to tear out of the way, and trailers to move, and trying to get to work by 8:30.
    There is alot more detail and to tell the truth I love my life and the sudden things that arise.  The short of the story is the AC man came by and it ended up being a $30.00 fix instead of a $630.00 fix.  As I start to put the windows down, I hear Calley screaming for help in the barn.  As I get closer I see the bull is trying to knock the barn wall down to get in there with her and that sweet feed she has.  I run him out, shut the gate and the boys walk out just in time to meet me in the driveway and look out to the pasture as we watch the bull push the gate open and run for the barn again.  Isaac's immediately with his mouth dropped says, "cool!"
    Well the A/C was fixed, Calley quit milking and went inside to find Amaus drinking down a half full cup of coffee in the kitchen. 
    It was a very fun morning honestly, and God took care of every sudden need of the present.  This is all just another day in the life of a dad, husband, preacher, business man and friend.  I love this life, and I love mornings like this, it would be a pretty boring life if all the future planned events worked perfect and no immediate situations ever happened.  How boring and lame to try and fix a life that can operate without God's intervention and providing.  I think when we delight in the sudden occurences and situations, that when it was all over God is problably thinking it was all pretty fun as well, after all He is a perfect Father that loves the interaction with His creation.
    Thank You Jesus for this awesome life, please don't quit giving the sudden events.

Matthew 6:31-34
 do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Below is the result of a crazy morning, smiling faces. God is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment